HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
H4S is back - 37.187.176.102:27972 slots will be increased if theres activity
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
Take mp_destruction out of the rotation?
Yes
35%
 35% [ 6 ]
No
65%
 65% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 17
Links
Rapid Official

RTCWX Project

Viva La Revolution

Online server list

Server list fix

RTCW in Xfire/OCW

Maps

Tram Design

Spawnpoint of View

RTCW Petition

Fight Spam
H4S GT
H4SDM GT

Share | 

Money for server?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Olli
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Money for server?!   Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Today I paid 2nd time with money of donators (thx alot again!!). But since we have to Pay 64 Euro each month, it means that I can pay at middle of november the last time and at middle of december the server is out of money.
Hopefully I already have a new job at this time but im not sure. If I wont get any salary, I wont be able to pay. So keep it in your minds. Especially the rich ones of you Razz
But would be nice if not only the same ppl have to pay for...

Btw its 64 euro a month that tards like Gonos cant hack us. So we couldnt take the smallest root...

^Wh4t3v3R
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 am

I'll donate some cash soon..
But 64 euro a month wow.. That's quite a lot, I had no idea.

Will be hard to keep it up much longer. Neutral

View user profile http://www.shizl.nl/rtcw/
PinkFloyd

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Olli, check your inbox.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
^Wh4t3v3R
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:03 am

I noticed..
a) GT says 'server not found' affraid (H4S is stil in the online list tho tongue )
b) using Paypal changed a bit. (It's not totally like http://www.h4s-rtcw.com/t137-help-to-keep-h4s-up anymore..)

Instead:

1. Create account, fill in your stuff. Paypal will test the account: After 3 days, there should be 2 amounts of money from Paypal on your bank account.

2. After 3 days u must check your bank account for the 2 amounts. If it's there, go to Paypal and enter the amounts there to confirm all works as it should.

3. Transfer the donation to olli_ac@gmx.de

Suke

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:03 am

Hello guys... wanna say my opinion here ...

64 euros per month is really WASTE money ... actualy in server never play 40 people ... maybe 20 sometimes with luck ...

We dont need one router ok? because wolf is DEAD ... is really sad that h4s will be dead because we dont have enough money .. but i think that exist others ways for keep h4s.. more cheaps...

i can't help much about money actualy.. if this happen 1 year ago sure ill give 50 euros without problem but actualy i cant .. Sad ...
anyway i can contribute maybe... but no much money ... thats why my tip is search others providers more cheap .. because exist...

maybe rent just 20 slots without router ... and test how it works i think should works ok .. and maybe we will pay only 15 euros per month no 64 .. omg 64 is really of scamers....

think deep about this im total sure that we have other better choices that actualy keep the server for 64 € month.. and i think that we can do it per 10 or 15 euros month ... or maybe 20 how much......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Olli
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks Whatever Smile

Suke I totally agree. I also said its to expensive. Problem was that "we" dont wanna give all h4s stuff in other hands. Reflex would host h4s for 10 Euro but then he has all server stuff too. But main problem is to get a server that is safe and cant be hacked... Since some ppl tried to do it. But at the end I think we have to use a vserver for maybe 10 euros and see if it works. As you admins know... its not the descision of wolf or me Wink

PinkFloyd

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:14 am

If given enough motivation, a smart coder/programmer can hack ANY server if he wants to do that, seriously. Just one coder or modder who is getting out of his lazy state ( I won't mention names) can totally bring a server down on its knees, and take it off any list...so if you want to pay extra for a fake sense of security then feel free...but a real hacker can get any server down, even on 1.4...you are paying too much for fake security which can not be there on 1.0.....SSwolf knows about that.

Still, I have no idea why would they want to down a server, but they can do it, no problem....

On another note, a 20 slots server is more than enough...since when you saw there was more than 16 players on H4s or any other server on 1.0??? Save your hard-earned money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
^Wh4t3v3R
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:28 am

We all know few ppl (who don't even need to be so very smart) can take a server down. But keeping out fi. 9 out of 10 attackers is not a fake sense of security and can make a big difference. Certainly if number 10 likes a gg in which you are able to shoot your teammates by accident.
Btw fyi, about 2 weeks ago there were over 20 players in the first part of the evening 100% sure. Maybe another server was down/laggin, I don't know but still. And I've seen that few times last months.

"Save your hard-earned money."
Ofcourse thanks anyway for sharing your thoughts Pink..

nate

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Olli wrote:
Thanks Whatever Smile

Suke I totally agree. I also said its to expensive. Problem was that "we" dont wanna give all h4s stuff in other hands. Reflex would host h4s for 10 Euro but then he has all server stuff too. But main problem is to get a server that is safe and cant be hacked... Since some ppl tried to do it. But at the end I think we have to use a vserver for maybe 10 euros and see if it works. As you admins know... its not the descision of wolf or me Wink

Hey,

I've already talked with sswolf about it and after seeing this I've decided to replay few thoughts and facts here as well.
For the record, me and Reflex are moving slowly into hosting business, currently only for rtcw but we're planning to support other games as well later on. Now to the subject - it will be a little long but hey, I was never known (sadly) for short posts anyway.

You are worrying for nothing because truth to be told, h4s has nothing we, I don't already have or can't make it. I'm contributing to s4ndmod for years now (tho inactive atm) so have the latest official source as well as my own mod I wrote (avpmod) and tons of maps I've edited..some are even released (http://downloads.rtcwx.com/index.php?path=AvPMOD%2FSP+Maps/). In fact if I would want any of your assets, I could easily contact marci and probably even get everything..but I don't need it because I have enough of work as it is, and don't need other stuff laying around in my mess I tend to call computer..and at the end of the day, I can just make it all on my own without much of an effort. Wink

About reflex having your stuff..it's as much as useful to him as it's a tractor to nasa astronaut living on ISS. On top of that..what's the point ruining our name to obtain your mod, maps or whatever is exactly that you are afraid we are going to take..if we have any plans into offering hosting. Good word and trust is the only thing that will give anyone any chance to ever succeed in pretty much anything.

Second order of business. Fact is, that you're overpaying your server and for all the wrong reasons. Having strong root wont protect you against attacks because attacker only needs little "fire power" and barely any data to bring any computer to it's knees..that's the reason why ddos is such a big problem, because it's so simply to do it and anyone that takes some time and googles it, can do it.

-------------------
Now what are your options?

Well you have some. I could go how you could rent with us and world will be a better place or whatever but that's never guaranteed nor the truth. Only thing you do by hosting with someone else is, that you redirect your problems on someone else..you as end user don't need to bother with ddos or whatever because you are paying someone else to bother with that...

Now you real options are quite simple. You can either stay with your host and pay 60 bucks a month, get a cheaper host and pay less or rent somewhere and let others bother with your problems. That's in reality all to it.

Since I've been told I'm a bad marketing manager I'll live up to my reputation and give you few options:
A: stay where you are.
B: Get less expensive host and try to secure it more.
C: go with us.
D: go with someone else.

If it was up to me, I would pick B.. and that's what we done. But in your particular case, I would go with C or D...while I naturally would prefer to see you go with us, I can still recommend another host if you pick D option..YCN is known to be good hoster that proven it self over the years.

Now that's the reality of it. How ever you decide it's really your business and your own choice, but like I said..A option is nonsense in your particular case because your reasons are wrong for it..would make sense to have such a server if you would have a need for it but as mention it, not in your case.

That's my input on the subject and I'm sorry it's little long..but I say it as it is.. Wink

Now if you decide to go with us, I'll see you around, otherwise, I wish you GL and no harm feelings!

Cheers,

Nate 'L0

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sswolf
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 pm

nate wrote:

Since I've been told I'm a bad marketing manager I'll live up to my reputation and give you few options:

Fuck..... off, that was only a joke xD

On topic - I needed to ask somebody more knowledgeable, if stronger roots are wroth it, I couldn't find anyone, so I came to you xD na jokin

Now really on topic - I gotta admit that I had the wrong impression about the stronger roots since it was making logic Shocked

As for another root, I guess none of us is sure, or more specifically - is sure which.
And about renting from you, idk if thats an option too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://h4s-rtcw.forum-pro.net
nate

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 am

What you decide is really your choice. But my advise to you is to stay away from a and b options and go with D (ycn, noghost etc) if you have doubts with us.

Reason for dis-advising you to go with your root is quite simple. You lack technical knowledge to the point, you can secure your server even against most basic attacks so switching to some other root will only solve your financial problems but not other threats.

And no, I'm not saying I know any better, but we just get along as it goes - as well as have and offer a patched binary against timescale/drdos and some other exploits. =) But in your case, ycn or noghost will do just as fine as well..I had no experience with other hosts besides one mention above and s4ndmod, which doesn't host any more afaik so I can't recommend any others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinyElvis
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks for your input Nate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
^Wh4t3v3R
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:50 am

Sounds like a marketing manager. Smile

THOR

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 am

WOW, still my head is banging after this long speach of Nate, i do not really understand all your problems (maybe my age), but for sure i am convinced of one important thing !!
If only the best 48 players on statslist (and for hours we can see, that they are playing a lot of time on H4S, will pay 15 EURO for year for this amazing game and specially server, we can play 1 year without any problem. Means a little bit more then 1 Euro/month. Sure that the most of you drinking beer and smoking sometimes a cigarette, just 5 cigarettes less or 1 beer missing!! Its not clear for me, that such a great pleasure to play on this server is not worth for such a little money for month. But ending my opinion for myself i will promise here, that everything will continue, even with this server, that seems working really good, to pay on beginning of 2013, after returning from holiday,2 month of contributes for H4S on PayPal of Olli. I think more i cannot do, more you cannot expect. Have all a good time, fix please the money-problem, dont let write Nate so much and let us see on server again.
THOR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PinkFloyd

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:36 pm

@ Thor: L0 always posts long posts that are full of information, technical ones. His posts should be read more carefully especially by people who understand technical jargon like roots and that stuff...good luck, mate...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Captain_Ali

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:26 pm

THOR wrote:
But ending my opinion for myself i will promise here, that everything will continue, even with this server, that seems working really good, to pay on beginning of 2013, after returning from holiday,2 month of contributes for H4S on PayPal of Olli. THOR

i think it's better to pay till 20th Dec 2012 Razz cuz we dont know what is going to happen in 21th Very Happy

i think his post are really fluent in english and is not verbosity Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Olli
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Hey L0. Thanks for the input. I, personally, dont have any problem that you and Reflex host h4s. Thats why I said we with ""... Its not up to sswolf or me. I have to talk with Marci. 2 weeks ago I made the last payment for this e root. So for now we have about 2 weeks to change the host.
Dunno why we didnt go to ycn at all. Marci wanted this one from Hetzner. And since he was paying the same root for yrs, we continued as thanks to him. Or whatever. But now after 3-4 months its enough imo.
I will ask Marci to talk with you about hosting h4s. In general I think he will agree. Why not. Better you host instead of closing h4s. Also its almost empty all time...

Olli
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Just for info. Nate cant host for us coz he can only host linux server and Marcis mod and so on is based on windows. Unlucky...

^Wh4t3v3R
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Captain_Ali wrote:
i think it's better to pay till 20th Dec 2012 Razz cuz we dont know what is going to happen in 21th Very Happy
So.. it's 20 dec. Shocked

Captain_Ali

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:55 pm

that was a joke Sander
nothing is going to happen. acctually Iranians (persians) have a celeberation which called "Yalda". we get together with our relatives and celebrate that the darkness period is finished. there is a link that explane it very well.
i think it's for thousands of years that iranian celebrate the "Yalda"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yald%C4%81#Origin

if anything happen in that day, surely it's a good think Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arbi
Modder
Modder

PostSubject: Re: Money for server?!   Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Butterflies excite me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile